Friday, January 8, 2021

Song Review: Dance Monkey by Tones And I


Dance Monkey is one of the most controversial songs in recent memory. Many music critics, like Marc from Spectrum Pulse and Outside Lane, love the song, while other music critics, like Show With No Name and Ranterinshades absolutely loathe it. What's my stance on Dance Monkey? I think it's fine. Let's start with the elephant in the room, Tone And I's voice. This is the main reason people hate this song. Now, my thoughts on her voice, in this song anyway, are complicated. Her voice gives me a bizarre feeling. Not one of pleasure, not one of revulsion, but more one of intrigue. Her voice in Dance Monkey is just so intriguingly bizarre. It sounds like nothing I've ever heard in my life, and nothing I will ever hear again. And the music video makes it even more strange. Seeing this already bizarre voice come out of an old man makes it straight-up surreal. Moving on to the production. This production is cool. The pianos have a very fun, but mysterious vibe, adding to the song's uniqueness. Finally, the lyrics. These lyrics are just incredible. Tones wrote this song based on her experience as a busker, and it shows through the lyrics. These lyrics brilliantly comment on the stuff that musicians like Tones do, being forced by people to do the same gimmicks over and over again. It's really heart wrenching stuff. So yeah, Dance Monkey is alright in my books. If you hate it, fine. But I personally think it's a fine, albeit weird as hell, song.

What are your thoughts on Dance Monkey, as well as Tones And I? What's your favorite Tones And I song? Comment below!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts