Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Top 10 Best songs of 2020


A lot of stuff happened this year. The world has been gridlocked in a worldwide pandemic, we went through one of the worst, most chaotic presidential debates in history, and it's the year I got into music reviews, and started this blog. So as this year comes to an end, I'm counting down my top 10 best songs of 2020.


10.

Out of all the new artists currently working, Megan Thee Stallion is the one I care about the least. I don't hate her, but none of her songs appeal to me. So why am I talking about her. Because of these:

Savage by Megan Thee Stallion and Savage Remix by Megan Thee Stallion and Beyonce


Savage is one of the catchiest and fun rap songs made this year. The beat is absolutely phenominal and hard hitting. Every time the beat hits, I just feel an uncontrollable urge to jam. On top of that, Megan sounds fantastic. Like DRAM on Broccoli, Megan sounds like she's having a lot of fun, and is putting a lot of energy and enthusiasm into the song. And the remix? That song is even better. It ups the good qualities of the original Savage to 11. The beat is even better, Megan sounds just as enthusiastic as she originally did, and Beyonce also does a good job. If you want a good song to bop and jam too, check out both versions of Savage.
9.

Chris Brown is still a massive scumbag, but oh my god this song is so good.

Go Crazy by Chris Brown And Young Thug


Chris Brown is a terrible person. But the man can make a good party jam. Yeah 3x is awesome, Turn Up The Music, while an obnoxious dubstep seizure, is still fun and enjoyable, Post To Be is enjoyably stupid and catchy as hell, and while Freaky Friday is an unfunny ego trip, it's still a jam. And Go Crazy might be his best song ever. The production is fantastic, the chorus is legendary, Brown and Thug both sound fantastic, the music video is weird, fun, and cool, it's just an absolute jam. This doesn't make up for Hitting Rihanna, Birthday Cake (Remix), or all the other terrible things Brown did. It's just an awesome song from a terrible human being.


8.
There are certain crossovers that sound totally random, and should not work as well as they do, but somehow, they manage to succeed with flying colors. My #8 song is one of those
crossovers.
Be Like That by Kane Brown, Swae Lee, and Khalid


Be Like That is an absolutely phenomenal piece of music. Let's start with the most surprising thing about it: Kane Brown. The dude sounds amazing. His voice is so relaxing and angelic. I don't know if it's his actual voice, or the fantastic beat, but he sounds extremely great. But the other singers are also pretty good. For some reason, Swae Lee does better when he's on his own than when he's on a Rae Sremmurd song. And he sounds great in this song too. While his verse is shorter than Kane's, it's cool and emphasizes the same strengths he exhibited in Close To Me. And then there's Khalid. Like many people, I am a Khalid fan. The man has an amazing voice, and such a chill, likable attitude. And aside from 1-800 and Beautiful People, I can't think of a bad song he's been a part of. And in Be Like That, his voice is still lovely, soft, and amazing. Bottom line, Be Like That is a fantastic piece of music that proves that sometimes, putting a bunch of random ingredients in a pot will give you something delicious.
 

7.

This is one of the most psychedelic songs I've ever heard in my life.

Alright by Devon Overbey


Of all the songs on this list, Alright is probably the most obscure. But it's still insanely good. The production is so cool and relaxing, Devon's voice is fantastic, the music video is enjoyable and trippy, and the song itself is just so relaxing. Also, like so many other songs, Alright gets better as it goes on. If you want something nice and happy to distract yourself from this pandemic, check out Alright.

 

 6. 

Congrats, Luke Bryan. You finally appeared in one of my best lists.

One Margarita by Luke Bryan


You may remember me mentioning this song briefly when talking about Knockin' Boots in my worst of 2019 list. Well, yeah. This is the only Luke Bryan song I like. What's funny is that One Margarita is the opposite of Florida Georgia Line's one good song, Confession. Confession is a thoughtful, deep reflection, while One Margarita is just a fun, brainless party song. The production is enjoyable and funky, the lyrics are enjoyably fun, and even Luke's obnoxious voice sounds alright. Bottom line, One Margarita is an enjoyably fun, wholesome country tune, from one of the most punchable artists ever. More like this, Bryan. 
 
Also fun fact, Luke Bryan's real name is Thomas. Bet you didn't know that.

5. 

Hello again, Surfaces. I have a feeling you guys will be regulars on my best lists.

Sail Away by Surfaces


Sail Away is a fantastic song. The beat is fantastic and lovely, the song has a nice funky tropical vibe, the band sounds great, and the song itself, coupled with the music video, make this an incredibly relatable song. We're all stuck in our own makeshift submarine, spending all our time inside our houses, secluded from the outside world, as we're being driven insane from the lack of human contact. So a song like this is incredibly relatable in this time of stress. And it also helps that it sounds amazing, and is made by the best new band of the 2020s. I can't wait to hear more songs from Surfaces.

 

4. 

Let's be honest, you all knew this was going to be on my 2020 best list.

BANG! by AJR



I've seen this song appear on a lot of worst of 2020 lists. And I really don't understand why, because like most of AJR's other songs, BANG! is fantastic. The production is fantastic, the song has a fun charm, the lyrics are great, the music video is great, Jack's voice is angelic, I love the "metronome" and "here we go", and like most AJR songs, BANG! is musical perfection. I've seen a lot of people call it obnoxious and tryhard, and I just don't see it. I've always been in love with the production of AJR songs. It's so fun, enjoyable, and comforting. And while BANG! is a little obnoxious, it has the classic AJR charm which makes their songs so good. If you hate this song, as well as AJR, fine. I don't understand how you could hate a band as flawless as AJR, but I respect your opinion, because it's yours, and I would never force you to change your opinion. But I love this band, and I love BANG! It's another home run in a discography full of home runs, and I can't wait for more AJR songs in the future.

3.

And the award for the second most underrated song of 2020 goes to...

Fvck Somebody by The Wrecks 


Everything about this song is absolutely fantastic. The production is fantastic, Nick Anderson's voice is amazing, the music video is a visual marvel, and like BANG!, Fvck Somebody has a musical like charm. It's honestly one of the best songs made this year, and really deserves more attention. 

2.

Eminem.

Godzilla by Eminem and JuiceWRLD




This song is absolutely phenomenal. The beat is fantastic, the music video is cool, JuiceWRLD is great (R.I.P JuiceWRLD), but what makes this song truly great is Eminem. His flow in this song is legendary. He manages to rap with so much speed, flow, and technique, that he gives this guy a run for his money:


Bottom line, Godzilla is one of the most amazing, cool, interesting rap songs ever made, and a definite highlight in Eminem's discography. Also, it's a great final hurrah for JuiceWRLD. R.I.P, man. R.I.P.

 Before we get to #1, there are some Honorable mentions:

Roses (Imanbek remix) by SAINt JHN



A lot of people hate this remix, but I think it's fine.

Beer Can't Fix by Thomas Rhett and Jon Pardi




The better version of Beer Never Broke My Heart.


Learn To Fly by Surfaces and Elton John


Surfaces collabing with Elton John. How could that not be awesome?

Hello Hello Hello (Remix) by Polo and Pan and Remi Wolf


This is basically heaven's equivalent of elevator music.

Dreamland by Glass Animals





The most trippy song ever made.

Acid Dreams by MAX and Felly


A fantastic, relaxing bop.


Krabby Step by Swae Lee, Tyga, and Lil Mosey


A fun, enjoyable song, with great sampling, good vocals from everyone, and a good tribute to SpongeBob. 

Oprah's Bank Account by Lil Yachty, Drake, and Dababy


I'm not really a fan of Lil Yachty as a featured artist, but Oprah's Bank Account is alright. It has a good melody, nice guest verses, a good music video, and while Lil Yachty isn't great, he's still decent.

death bed (coffee for your head) by Powfu and beabadoobee


A song as adorable as it is dark and heavy. 

Mood by 24kGoldn and iann dior


While the tone and lyrics clash harder than plaid and zigzags, the song is too bouncy and fun for me to care. Also, iann dior's guest verse is great.

Life Is Good by Drake and Future


A really cool, groovy jam.

Everybody In The Room Hates You by Ben Eales


A good song from a fellow music critic.


Savage Love by Jason Derulo and Jawsh 685


This song is alright. It's cool, funky, and while Jason is a little screechy, he's not too bad. Also, Savage is not a slur. At all.

What's Poppin Remix by Jack Harlow, Dababy, Tory Lanez, and Lil Wayne



This remix is incredibly unnecessary, but it's still pretty good.


Yummy by Justin Bieber


This song is also going to be on my worst list, but I enjoy it too much for it to not at least get a mention on my best list. Also, the beat reminds me of Hotline Bling.


However, as much as I enjoy this song, the things JB did to get it popular are absolutely terrible, and I don't support them at all.

Be Kind by Marshmello and Halsey



As if Benny Blanco making Halsey sound amazing on Eastside wasn't surprising enough, now we have a song where she teams up with Marshmello, the Maroon 5 of producers, and it sounds amazing. But don't think I'm letting you off the hook Halsey, because I'll be tearing you apart when my worst list comes around. 

Sugar by BROCKHAMPTON



A really good vibe, with a weird as hell music video, which I unfortunately can't show, because it's age restricted, and I can't show age restricted videos on this blog.


Don't Start Now and Break My Heart by Dua Lipa





If every Dua Lipa song was like One Kiss and these songs, I would understand why she has such a passionate fanbase. 

If the World Was Ending by JP Saxe and Julia Michaels


Why does everyone hate this song so much? I think it's alright. Julia Michaels doesn't even sound that bad.

Watermelon Sugar by Harry Styles


A fun, relaxing vibe. Harry is easily the 1D guy with the best solo career.

For the record, here's my ranking of every 1D member's solo career from worst to best:

Zayn Louie Niall Liam Harry


Dynamite by BTS




I'm not really a BTS fan, but Dynamite is alright. It's fun, funky and enjoyable. Also, Halsey isn't there, which immediately makes this song better than Boys With Luv.

Lalala by Y2K and bbno$


Thank you so much Lalala for introducing me to bbno$. Oh, and for being a fun, silly song as well.

Fake by Lauv and Conan Grey



While I hate Heather, and will be tearing apart that song in my worst list, Fake is really good. The production is nice, Lauv is fantastic, the lyrics are great, Conan Grey is alright, and he and Lauv have a lot of chemistry. Also, am I the only one who thinks that Conan looks a lot like John Mulaney?

I Don't Care by Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber


Still an absolutely fantastic song.


Hot Shower by Chance The Rapper, MadeinTYO, and Dababy


Insanely fun and silly. Also, not only is there a reference to Good Burger, the best Nickelodeon movie ever, but Kel Mitchell, the guy who played Ed, appears in the video. Thank you so much, Chance.

Dance Monkey by Tones & I


This song is weird as hell. But I think it's alright.

Cardigan by Talyor Swift

Extremely lovely. 

Ily by Surf Mesa and Emilee


A chill, enjoyable vibe which, unlike Intentions, perfectly captures the spirit of lofi.


Working For The Weekend by MAX and bbno$




The most underrated song of 2020. It sounds great, it's clever, it's produced by AJR, and it made me realize that MAX didn't suck. The only reason it's not on this list is because I have nothing new to say about it.



Level Of Concern by Twenty One Pilots



A great song with an even better music video. Like seriously, a never ending music video. That is straight up genius.


Positions by Ariana Grande


Good song from a good artist. 

Be Like Me by Lil Pump and Lil Wayne


My favorite Lil Pump song. It's fun, it's idiotic, it's catchy, it's funky, and it has a great guest verse from Lil Wayne. Also, the music video is awesome.

RITMO by The Black Eyed Peas and J. Balvin


A really cool, funky, enjoyable jam, with great sampling.

Diamonds by Sam Smith


Sam Smith being groovy and awesome


Baby Sitter by Dababy and Offset



Funky, fun, catchy, great lyrics, and great singing.

Lemonade by Internet Money, Don Toliver, Gunna & Nav



One of the chillest songs I've ever heard in my life.

Kings And Queens by Ava Max




While I'm not the biggest fan of Sweet But Psycho, Kings And Queens is an awesome song. I'm glad Ava Max is improving, and I wish her nothing but good luck in her music career.

Head & Heart by Joel Corry and MNEK


An awesome, vibing jam with a fantastic music video, which I fortunately can show.

The Business by Tiësto


Relaxing and groovy as hell

Hard To Forget by Sam Hunt


The lyrics suck, but it's such a jam.


Ransom by Lil Tecca


An awesome, cool jam

Circles by Post Malone



Even though Post has made better songs, I'm glad that Circles has stuck around.

Holiday by Lil Nas X


An alright, christmassy jam.

Lonely by Justin Bieber and Benny Blanco


A very lovely sounding, kinda sad, nice song.


Blinding Lights by The Weeknd


Oh look. A modern song with an 80's aesthetic, a sample taken from Take On Me, one of the best songs of the 1980s, and The Weeknd being awesome. Neat.


Come and Go by Marshmello and JuiceWRLD



An alright song from an artist that left us way too soon. Oh, and Marshmello's there too, I guess.

Good Time by Niko Moon


Like One Margarita, Good Time is a fun, enjoyably wholesome country tune.

Levitating by Dua Lipa and Dababy


How did Dua Lipa go from making New Rules to making this fun, poppy slice of awesomeness? Oh, and Dababy's great too.

Lover by Taylor Swift


Wow is this good. Like seriously. Just...wow.

ROXANNE by Arizona Zervas



Cool, chill, and funky. Also, it's cool that the music video is a homage to both Pulp Fiction and Groundhog Day.

Red Tide by Devon Overbey



Not as good as Alright, but still a really good song.

【BURNING THE CHOW】 by HourofPoop 



A relaxing surreal remix by the best YouTube Poop channel ever.

Smile by Katy Perry


Fun, jazzy, and happy.

Put Your Records On by Ritt Momney

I know a lot of people hate this cover, but I honestly don't mind it. It has a very relaxing, trippy vibe. Also, this guy's name is Ritt Momney. That in itself makes this song more than eligible to be mentioned on my best list.

The Bigger Picture by Lil Baby



Huh. Lil Baby actually made a good song. Cool. Glad to see that he's evolving.

And now, onto my #1.

1.  

So. A lot of people have this song on their worst lists. They say stuff like "Ooh, their voices suck, ooh it's happy and fun, ooh the production is bad and irritating." Now, if you hate this song, fine. I'm not going to force you to like a song you hate, because I like it. But the mere idea that this song has any kind of hate whatsoever makes me mad. Such a fun, happy, enjoyable piece of happiness is despised by music critics. That makes me sick to my stomach. And I'm pretty sure you all know exactly what song I'm talking about. Welcome back, Surfaces.

Sunday Best by Surfaces


I could not think of a song that sums up exactly what I want in music more than Sunday Best. Oh, sure. I like dark songs once in a while, but this is the kind of music I like. A fun, happy piece of happiness, whose sole purpose in life is to cheer you up. Every time I listen to this song, my mood is immediately improved. It's just so fun, enjoyable, and enthusiastic, enhanced by the fantastic music video. But let's get to the elephant in the room, the voices. The main reason Sunday Best gets so much hate is that people can't stand Surfaces' voices. My thoughts? It's the same deal as Tones and I's voice. I personally don't mind it, but I can see why others would. While it has a computery vibe, the voices radiate a fun, surfer dude attitude which makes the song awesome. While Sunday Best isn't the best song that Surfaces has made (that would be Good Day. That song is fantastic), everything about it just speaks to me in every level. From the fun and funky production to the relaxed vocals, to how enjoyably chipper the entire song is. It feels like a song that was made specifically for me.
And while we did need Sunday Best in these trying times, I would've liked Sunday Best even if we weren't in a pandemic. Because it's a fun, enjoyable, happy slice of awesomeness that never fails to lift my spirits. And that is why Sunday Best by Surfaces is my best song of 2020.

Well, those are my picks for the best songs released this year. What do you think of them? What's your list? Comment below, and stay tuned for my worst of 2020 list, to find out what songs this year I hated. Till then, over and out.

Also, what songs do you think will be on my worst list?



Oh, and to anyone who thinks that One Margarita is an anthem to breaking quarantine, no it isn't. It's just a fun, wholesome party song. Not everything has to relate to the fricking quarantine!!!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Alright, well as a piece of music criticism I have to admit this is quite clunky, especially for something you want plenty of fellow critics to see given how many places I've seen you mention it, and while I too would love to put the entirety of Baby Gravy 2 in honorable mentions it would feel weird to do so. in the future, I'd suggest either cutting back on how many honorable mentions you put in or expanding to just a "songs i loved this year" or something along those lines. You do have quite similar taste to me overall though, and Fly Away and Love not War better get pushed stateside next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. There were just so many good songs this year. I'll try to cut down on the HMs in the future.

      Delete
    2. Also, I didn't put every song from Baby Gravy II on here.

      Delete
  2. 10. meh
    9. Good by Chris Brown standards. Which actually just means meh.
    8. Never heard it.
    7. Never heard it.
    6. Luke Bryan (and bro country in general) always sucks, and this is no exception.
    5. Never heard it.
    4. I don't like AJR.
    3. Never heard it.
    2. This one's pretty good.
    Not gonna go over your HMs since there's like 500 of them, but props for adding Be Kind and Kings for Queens. Don't really agree on adding If The World Was Ending though.
    1. I want to love this one but the performances are baaaad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10. Fair.
      9. I personally think Go Crazy is a jam.
      8 and 7. Understandable, especially 7.
      6. Yeah, I was honestly surprised by how much I like it, and I'm probably the only person who's going to put this song on their best of 2020 list.
      5. Fair.
      4. That's fine. I've come to terms that I'm in the minority when it comes to AJR, even though I still don't understand why.
      3. Yep.
      2. Agreed.
      1. Understandable.

      Delete
  3. 10. Good
    9. Decent
    8. pretty good
    7. never heard it
    6. bad
    5. never heard it
    4. hate it. I don't like AJR. I have never understood them. Just my opinion though.
    3. never heard it
    2. pretty good
    1. fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6: I understand. I don't like Luke Bryan, and I was suprised by how much I liked One Margarita. Apparently no-one else had that reaction.

      4: That's fine. I've come to terms with how I'm in the minority on AJR, even though I don't understand why.

      Delete

Popular Posts