Monday, August 31, 2020

Top 10 Best songs of 2017

 Ahhhhh. After going through the ordeal of my worst songs of 2018 list, this list is going to be so refreshing. So, 2017. What are my thoughts? Well, 2017 was also a very mixed year. There were very good songs, but unlike 2018, where most of the bad songs were unlistenable garbage, the bad songs of 2017 were more interesting and distinct. We'll get to those songs in a later blog, but today, I'm getting the bad taste of bad 2018 songs out of my mouth, by taking a look at the best of what 2017 has to offer.


10.

A lot of people hate this song, which I can understand. But I think it's cool.

Down by Marian Hill


This song is really relaxing. The pianos are nice and soothing, Marian Hill's voice is lovely, the music video is fantastic, and it makes great focusing music. But the best part is easily the chorus. A lot of people compare this song to Gold by Kiiara, and this chorus is why. But I really like it. It's weird, relaxing, funky and cool. It is a shame Down gets so much hate, because it is really good.

9.

You know that scene in stoner movies and episodes of That 70's Show, when the characters just sit around smoking a joint, and talking about nonsense? Imagine if that was a song.


iSpy by KYLE and Lil Yachty


iSpy is such an adorable, cute little song. The melody is nice, and the lyrics are an adorable kind of stupid. But unlike Train, it's clear that KYLE and Lil' Yachty know that these lyrics are stupid. There's a kind of tongue and cheek tone held throughout the song that makes it tolerable. And while some of Lil Yachty's lyrics are questionable, both KYLE and Yachty sound good. Also, Lil' Yachty saying "Look around bro. Look at life" is one of the most wholesome things I've ever seen. Bottom line, iSpy is an incredibly adorable, sweet, silly song. If you want a pick-me-up, look up this song. It's so nice.

8.

Remember when I mentioned in my worst of 2018 list that Money by Cardi B was a ripoff of HUMBLE by Kendrick Lamar? Well...

HUMBLE by Kendrick Lamar





Yeah, this is a good song. The music video is creative, the song is catchy, Kendrick's flow is really good, and the lyrics are really good. This is definitely a great song that I 100% understand the appeal of.  Also, there's a reference to the Grey Pupon ads, which is just so crazy, not only for the obscure reference, but for the fact that it has nothing to do with the song. And I have to give Lamar points for doing something that crazy.

7.

Huh. Looks like Bruno Mars hasn't officially appeared on one of my best lists yet. Let's fix that.


That's What I Like by Bruno Mars



Bruno Mars was born with a natural, Fonz like charisma. And his good songs take advantage of that charisma. And while this song isn't as absolutely amazing as 24K Magic, That's What I Like is still an amazing, catchy showcase of BM's charisma. It sounds awesome, Mars is having a lot of fun, the music video is both creative and simplistic, and it's just a blast to listen to. Another fantastic highlight in Bruno Mars' discography

6.

When I first heard this song, I hated it. I thought it was incredibly boring and dull. But over time, it grew on me. And before I start talking about it, I'd just like to say: Welcome back, Ed Sheeran.

Perfect by Ed Sheeran



As I said in my worst of 2018 list, I am an Ed Sheeran fan. Similar to AJR, at his worst, he's just boring. But at his best, he is absolutely amazing. And while Perfect isn't the best song he's ever made, it's certainly in the top 5. It's such an adorable, sweet, folksy song. Ed is fantastic, the lyrics are great, and it's so relaxing. I just love listening to it, it's so amazing. Like PM's Psycho, Perfect is a song that takes everything that makes Ed Sheeran awesome, and amalgamates it into one heavenly song. But the duet with Beyonce sucks.

5.


Since I put 2 Maroon 5 songs in the honorable mentions of my best songs of 2018 list, it only makes sense that a Maroon 5 song would officially be on one of my best lists. So which Maroon 5 song is the lucky one to get in my good graces?



Don't Wanna Know by Maroon 5 and Kendrick Lamar





While Girls Like You and Wait took a while to grow on me, I liked Don't Wanna Know from the very start. The beat is very catchy and relaxing, the lyrics are decent, similar to Wait, Adam appears like an actual human being instead of a playgirl model, the Pokemon Go symbolism is very clever, the actual band appears in the song (yeah, for those of you wondering why I don't call Maroon 5 "Adam Levine" the way I call Panic! At The Disco "Brendon Urie" is because P!ATD is officially just Brendon Urie, while despite Adam Levine being the only member of Maroon 5 that anybody remembers, Maroon 5 is still together), and the Vince Vaughn cameo at the end is very funny. The only problem is Kendrick Lamar's verse. Everyone who's criticized this song says that KL's verses are terrible, and yeah, they are definitely the worst part of the song. But they're not that bad, and they're cut out of the music video, so you don't even have to worry about them. I'm probably the only person that will have this song on their best list, but I don't care, because Don't Wanna Know is alright in my books.

4.

Hello again, Ed Sheeran.

Galway Girl by Ed Sheeran



Similar to Perfect, Galway Girl has a folksy charm, combined with a catchy beat. You'd think that Ed Sheeran rapping would be a recipe for disaster, considering Ed Sheeran songs are the polar opposite of rap. But unlike New Man, Galway Girl manages to make it work, by fitting the rap style into Sheeran's folksy little charm, to create a brilliant fusion. I don't even know what else to say about it. It's just another great Ed Sheeran song.

3.



Have I mentioned how much I love Ed Sheeran?

Castle on the Hill by Ed Sheeran




If I Don't Care didn't exist, Castle On The Hill would be the best Ed Sheeran song. It's everything that 7 Years by Lukas Grahm failed to be. It sounds amazing, Ed Sheeran is fantastic as usual, the lyrics are brilliant and innocent, it's catchy as hell, and it's such a sweet song. It is impossible to feel sad while listening to Castle On The Hill. One listen will make your brain explode from happiness. It's an adorable,sweet song, from one of my all time favorite singers. Also, it gave us these hilarious videos:







2.


I've liked this song for a long time. Before I got into music review shows, and even before I knew who most of these people were.



I'm The One by DJ Kahled, Justin Beiber, Quavo, Chance The Rapper, and Lil Wayne.




How anybody could dislike this song or think it's boring is beyond me. I'm The One is awesome as hell. The beat is incredibly sick, Justin, Quavo, and Chance sound great, the song has the same fun feeling as iSpy, and everyone looks like they're having a fantastic time. There are only 2 bad things about this song: Lil Wayne, and the music video. While Lil Wayne isn't bad enough to bring the whole song down, he is definitely the worst part of it. He sounds absolutely terrible, despite exhibiting the same enthusiasm as JB, Quavo, and Chance. And the music video, while not terrible, keeps feeling the need to distract us with beautiful women. This is a good song, just let it play. If I wanted to see almost naked women, I would go to the internet. But despite those things, I'm The One is a great song that may not be high art, but is an absolutely fantastic bop.

And before we get to #1, some honorable mentions.

Body Like A Backroad by Sam Hunt






This song is a guilty pleasure. I mean, it's called Body Like A Backroad. How could something called that not be enjoyably stupid?

Shape of You by Ed Sheeran






Since I am an enormous Ed Sheeran fan, you're probably wondering what I think of his most infamous song, Shape Of You. Well, I have mixed feelings on it. It has a decent beat, and it's the song that got me into Ed Sheeran, so I can't hate it too much. But Shape of You is not Ed at his A game. Ignoring the fact that Ed Sheeran making a sex song is a gigantic pile of no, the lyrics make it sound like Sheeran has less knowledge about sex than Tommy Wiseau, and the video portraying Ed Sheeran as a fighter is honestly laughable. Maybe Sheeran has gotten into some fights, but when I look at Ed Sheeran, I don't see a fighter. I see a lovable British man, who sings wistful beautiful music, and would love to be your friend. Sure, singers can play parts that you wouldn't think they'd be suited for (Hell, Brendon Urie, one of the most likable and charismatic celebrities of all time, managed to be a pretty creepy demon in the music video for Emperor's New Clothes), but Sheeran just can't make it work. Also, like Castle on The Hill, Shape of You also gave us a pretty funny video:




Feel It Still by Portugal. The Man




Consider this song the honorary #11. It is straight fire.

There's Nothing Holding Me Back by Shawn Mendes






Until I saw The Wonky Angle's Worst of 2017 video, I did not know that this song was by Shawn Mendes. And I'm glad that Shawn Mendes is evolving. Good luck, Mendes. And I really mean that. 

Hard Times by Paramore





This song grew on me. It's funky, bizarre, and cool.


Strip that Down by Liam Payne and Quavo




The lyrics are stupid, but this song is so catchy!!!!!!!!


Bad Things by Machine Gun Kelly and Camilla Cabeo


I don't know why, but this song doesn't bother me. It has a bizarre charm to it.

Mr. Clean by Yung Gravy


A Yung Gravy song that samples Mr. Sandman? Shut up and take my money!!!!!


REDMERCEDES by Animé


A fun song, with a clever and subversive music video.



Corner Store by Macklemore, Dave B. and Travis Thompson

The best Macklemore song that wasn't produced by Ryan Lewis.



Sorry Not Sorry by Demi Lovato





This is one of the catchiest and most energetic songs I've ever heard. Also, everyone looks like they're having a blast.

Hostiles On The Hill by Bad Lip Reading


A funky, catchy song that's absolutely hilarious and stupid.


Something Just Like This by Coldplay and The Chainsmokers.





How is a Chainsmokers song this good?

Bim Bim Bim by Jay Foreman





Absolutely hilarious, stupid, and catchy.



Whatever it Takes by Imagine Dragons






Definitely on the upper tier of Imagine Dragons songs


Slide by Calvin Harris, Frank Ocean, and Migos.






Really cool, chill and funky


Feels by Calvin Harris, Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, and Big Sean.





Absolutely incredibly from every angle.



What Lovers Do by Maroon 5 and SZA







Unlike Don't Wanna Know, I don't like this song enough to put it on the list officially, but it's decent, if a little generic, and has a creative music video.

Sign of the Times by Harry Styles



This song is absolutely amazing.


MEME TILL YOU'RE DEAD by Cyranek


A fantastic, fun, memelicious jam.


I Feel It Coming by Daft Punk and The Weeknd





Cool and funky as hell. Weeknd, more of this, less of The Hills



Revolution by RAT BOY



Obnoxious, in your face, and has a bizarre anarchic charm reminiscent of The Young Ones.

Sit Next To Me by Foster The People






This song is an absolutely, fantastic, jazzy bop, with a heavenly chorus.



Malibu by Miley Cyrus





Malibu by Miley Cyrus is the musical equivalent of a hug. It's such a comforting, happy cheerful song, from an artist I never thought I would like. More Miley songs like this, less Miley songs like 23 and Do It!.



Songify The Room (You're Tearing Me Apart) and Schmoyoho, Accent on the Yo by Schmoyoho 






One's a musical tribute to the Citizen Kane of Bad Movies, and the other is a heavenly anthem for a underrated band that can make anything musical. 

Location by Khalid


Khalid being his awesome self, with a great relaxing beat, and good lyrics about how to online date.

Rotisserie by Yung Gravy and bbno$



Catchy cool and fun. But it is a Yung Gravy and bbno$ collab, so of course it would be good.

Bud Like You by AJR


The song that introduced me to AJR. 

Plain Jane by A$AP Ferg





This song is basically the good version of Mo Bamba

Overture by AJR


This is heaven in the form of a song.

Sky Walker by Miguel and Travis Scott








Really cool and fun.

Young Dumb & Broke by Khalid





A lot of people hate this song, but I think it's alright. Khalid sounds good, and it has a nice relaxing charm.

Go by Louis The Child





It may be part of one of the worst commercials ever made, but this song still rules.


Big Enough by Kirin J Callinan, Alex Cameron, Molly Lewis, and Jimmy Barnes




Sure, the meme is funny, but not enough people appreciate the song itself. Because it truly is awesome. Both singers are fantastic, the song has a powerful message, and it's incredibly jammin. Big Enough is way more than a meme.

And now, onto #1

1.


So apparently, a lot of people hate this song. Why, exactly? It fricking rules!!!!!!!!

Thunder by Imagine Dragons.



I've heard the complaints. "Oh, Thunder is generic. It's obnoxious. It's weak. It has meaningless lyrics, yada yada yada." And I disagree completely. Weak? What part of this is weak? The booming vocals, the in your face (in a good way) beat, the punching? Tell me, what part of this song is weak? I'd love to know. And while, yes Thunder has a commercially feel to it, and has meaningless lyrics, that doesn't change the fact that it's an amazing song. The rhythm is fantastic, the beat is catchy, unlike in Money, the chipmunk vocals are actually really cool, and gives the song some personality, unlike in Bullet In A Gun, Dan Reynolds sounds fantastic, and the song structure is masterfully composed. It starts out with a great rhythm, keeps building that rhythm up throughout the song, holds for a minute, and then we receive payoff in the form of a masterfully produced symphony. Also, the music video is really creative. Aliens, Sheep, buildings, appearing and disappearing people, cars, lightbulbs, dancing. It's very visually distinct. And that ending. Oh. My. God. The ending of Thunder is the musical equivalent of heaven. It is just absolutely amazing. While I understand why so many people would hate Thunder, I enjoy it way too much to care about its flaws.

Well, that's 2017. What did you think of my list? Was it good? What did you agree or disagree with? What's your list? Comment Below!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts