Friday, August 28, 2020

Top 10 Best songs of 2018

 Since my first 2 lists were about 2019, I figure its a good idea to talk about 2018 next. So what are my thoughts on 2018 musically speaking? Well, like 2019, 2018 was a very mixed year. There were some fantastic songs, and some absolutely atrocious garbage. And seeing the title of the list, you can tell which one we're talking about today. So let's get cracking!

10.

I have mixed feelings on this song:

High Hopes by Brendon Urie



First of all, no. This is not Panic! at the Disco. It's just Brendon Urie. Second, this song makes me feel really conflicted. While the chorus is incredibly mediocre, the rest of the song makes up for it, with parts that sound really nice, Brendon Urie's likability shining through, and Brendon Urie walking on a building, which is incredibly awesome. Seriously, I want to know how they did that. Kumerai Fang's worst of 2018 list compared High Hopes to AJR, which as you can tell from my best songs of AJR list, is a band I love. So that probably has something to do with why I like this song. As it stands, High Hopes is a bizzare animal of a song, that while I don't love, is still good and interesting enough to put on the official list.

9.

This song's name is incredibly stupid, but it's still a great song.

Sicko Mode by Travis Scott and Drake



Unlike Bad Guy and Old Town Road, I fully get the hype for this song. It's really catchy, with a great rhythm, and both singers sound great. It's not amazing (it's #9 on my list for a reason), but it is a decent song, and you could do a lot worse. Sicko Mode, you get my thumbs up.

8.

And while we're on the subject of Drake....

God's Plan by Drake



Aside from that stupid line about Drake loving his mom and his bed more than his girlfriend, God's Plan is a really good song. It has Drake's signiture low key energy, and a catchy flow. Also, similar to Earth, this song has good intentions, but it actually feels like it's doing those good intentions justice. Definitely not a great song, but it's ok.

7.

I have mixed feelings on Post Malone. While he does seem like a really cool guy, and makes really good songs, he's also capable of making absolute garbage, like Rockstar, I Fall Apart, and White Iversion. But my #7 pick is a song that sums up all his relaxed, cool appeal into one song:


Psycho by Post Malone and Ty Dolla $ign





A lot of people really hate this song, which I kind of understand. It does have a low tempo beat, and Post Malone's voice is really low energy. But unlike some of PM's other songs, I'm not bothered by it. Like Robbery and Talk, Psycho has a really relaxing vibe. It's like if you combined lofi and rap into one song. On top of that, Post Malone looks like he's into the song, and Post Malone riding on a tank in the desert is almost as awesome as Brendon Urie walking on a building. All in all, a very overhated and relaxing song from a guy who's quickly becoming one of my favorite artists. Also, Ty Dolla $ign is good.

6.

Sometimes, people surprise you. People you thought were incredibly incompetent and moronic end up making masterpieces. And my #6 entry is one of them. I can't believe I'm saying this, but welcome to my best list, Tyga.


Leather In The Rain by Tyga


The fact that Tyga managed to make this incredibly amazing bop of a song is something that still shocks me days after discovering it. Leather In The Rain is phenomenal. The rhythm is relaxing and has a nice flow, Tyga actually sounds good, and that chorus is amazing. Like, just listen to it. It's pure perfection. There's also a guest singer named Kyndall, who sounds exactly like Ariana Grande, and she does a good job too. So yeah, an artist who I thought would never be good ended up making one of my favorite songs of 2018. Good job, Tyga. I still don't like you, but you have earned my respect. Also, if you're wondering why I have this lyric video as the video, that's because Leather in the Rain doesn't have a music video, and the cover for the album it's on is horrifying. 

5.

This is one of those songs that really needs no introduction.

Sunflower by Swae Lee and Post Malone



I haven't seen Spider Man Into The Spiderverse (I know, I know), but if it's anything like this song, then it's one of the best films ever made, because this song is fantastic. It's catchy, boppy as hell, both Swae and Post sound fantastic, and the way the music video incorporates the lyrics into the scenery of SMITTSV is clever. All in all, an absolutely fantastic song. 

4.

Welcome back, bbno$.

Tony Thot by bbno$.



Ever since I discovered Lalala, I've been slowly becoming a bbno$ fan. And Tony Thot is definitely one of his best songs. It's catchy as hell, bbno$ has a fantastic flow, the lyrics have his signature weird charm, and the music video is very surreal, even more than Lalala. A very great song from an underrated artist.

3.

While I understand the hate for Happy and Can't Stop The Feeling, I demonstrably disagree with it. Sure, they became big off of kids movies, but we need songs like them. We need songs that are just happy mindless nonsense. And if you disagree, and still think they're awful, let me introduce you to a man named Lil Duval.


Smile (Living My Best Life) by Lil Duval, Ball Greezy, and Snoop Dogg




Thank you so much, Ducky for introducing me to this incredibly fun song. It's catchy as hell, incredibly fun and enjoyable, and all 3 performers sound fantastic, and have great chemistry. It's just an insanely positive, bop of a song, that will brighten your day, and make you dance. And while Lil Duval says the n word many times throughout the song, I love this song too much to care.

2.

This song is a grower. When I first heard it, I thought it was really weird. But as time went on, I grew to appreciate it, and now it's one of the best songs I've ever heard. What song is it?


Close To Me by Ellie Goulding, Swae Lee, and Diplo



Close to Me is such an entrancing song, and unlike anything I've ever heard before. Both Ellie and Swae sound fantastic, the rhythm is amazing, and the music video is very cool and surreal. It's just such an amazing, hypnotic song that I can't help but love. Also, I love those light-bulb hats.


And before we get to #1, I'd like to go over some honorable mentions.

No Brainer by DJ Kahled, Justin Beiber, Quavo, and Chance the Rapper


This song has way too much hate. It's not great, and it's clearly trying to cash in on the success of I'm The One. But it's an alright, catchy song that's good to listen to when you're bored. Also, no Lil' Wayne. Although if you dislike I'm The One, stay far away from this song.

Wait by Maroon 5




A lot of people hate this song, but similar to my #2, Wait grew on me. Also, the Snapchat version (above) is incredibly adorable.

Girls Like You by Maroon 5 featuring Cardi B



Girls Like You also grew on me. Not enough to put it on the list, but it's ok.

This is America by Childish Gambino


Very weird, and doesn't really try to say anything, but a decent song.

Lost In Japan by Shawn Mendes




While the Zedd remix is obnoxious and annoying, the original is very sweet and catchy. I'm really glad that Shawn Mendes has improved as an artist, and I'm looking forward to seeing his career grow and flourish. Also, that ending is amazing.

Feels like Summer by Childish Gambino






Really cool and chill.





Filthy by Justin Timberlake



I know a lot of people hate this song, but it's a guilty pleasure for me. Filthy is such a strange, bizarre, catchy song. Also, the fact that this song is sung by the guy who voices Branch from Dreamworks Trolls makes this hilarious.

Finesse by Bruno Mars and Cardi B




An absolutely fantastic 80's throwback.

Man of The Woods by Justin Timberlake




Consider this song my honorary #11. It's one of the most charming, fun songs I've ever heard in my entire life.


Nice for What by Drake






Weird as hell, but an absolute banger.




Genius by LSD



Fantastic song, with a creative and surreal music video.

DoIHaveTheSause? by Ski Mask The Slump God



Awesome, trippy, weird, and fun.


One Kiss by Dua Lipa and Calvin Harris





Great beat, great singing, and funky as hell. The only problem is Dua Lipa, who despite not being terrible, always looks and sounds like she thinks she's better than you.

Fake Love by Drake






Like Filthy, this song is a guilty pleasure. It's incredibly catchy and relaxing, and the lyrics are insanely stupid.

Down to the Honkytonk by Jake Owens







Sure, the lyrics are dishonest and boastful, but the song itself has a lot of country charm, and it's just a fun, silly song. Believe me, as a country fan, after hearing FGL and Luke Bryan, Down to the Honkytonk is a breath of fresh air.


Bubblin by bbno$ and So Loki






Another awesome and weird bbno$ song, produced by the same guy who produced Tony Thot.

Powerglide by Rae Sremmurd and Juicy J




The fact that this is a collab between Rae Sremmurd and the guy that said "Eat Your Heart Out Like Jeffery Dahmer" on Katy Perry's Dark Horse, and it's this good is just incredible. And it's also made by the guy who produced 23. The hell?

Zucc Smokin Meats-SONGIFY THIS by Schmoyoho



This and The History Of The World According To Facebook are the best things that Mark Zuckerberg's existence has contributed.



Everyday by Marshmello and Logic




Despite being made by Marshmello and the guy who made 1-800-273-8255, Everyday isn't that bad. It's catchy, cool, and interesting. Also, any song that makes a reference to Office Space is one that gets in my good graces.

Lies by Thompson Twins




A trippy pile of catchiness.

I'm Gonna Kill Santa Claus by Danny Gonzalez


A catchy, morbid, and funny Christmas song from one of the best Youtubers ever. Also, shoutout to my fellow Gregs.

Lemon by N.E.R.D and Rihanna


Weird and awesome.

Do It All The Time by I Don't Know How But They Found Me




Absolutely fantastic.

Magic In The Hamptons by Social House and Lil Yachty



Relaxing, playful, catchy, and Lil Yachty being his awesome self. Why the hell is Boyfriend more famous than this?

Drug Addicts by Lil Pump



Sure, it promotes underage drug use, but the beat is fun, and Lil Pump is actually putting energy into it. Also, it's cool that Charlie Sheen is in the video, even if he doesn't get to do anything.

Get Along by Kenny Chesney


An enjoyably silly and fun piece of country schlock

Natural by Imagine Dragons



One of the few good songs on Origins

Zero by Imagine Dragons



The best song on Origins. No contest.

The Way Life Goes by Lil Uzi Vert



A cool, relaxing, funky song with an awesome music video

Dura by Daddy Yankee


This song is like the bizzaro version of Te Bote. While that song was a toxic sludgepile that sounded like garbage, Dura is an incredibly jazzy, charismatic, fun, and enjoyable song, sung by the incredibly charismatic Daddy Yankee. Also, like Next Up Forever, Dura has one of the best intros of all time.

King's Dead by Kendrick Lamar, Jay Rock, James Blake, and Future




People either love or hate this song. Personally, I like it. Not only does everyone, even Future, sound great, but King's Dead is such a weird and groovy song. Easily the best song on the Black Panther soundtrack.

In My Feelings by Drake


Kinda catchy, and great instrumentals at the beginning, but really forgettable. Also, that intro goes on for way too long.

Be Careful by Cardi B.





Cardi's best song.

Amid The Flowers by Slipfunc


One of the best lofi songs I've ever heard in my life.

Tell Me by Spencer Sutherland






A bizzare song with great symbolism and an amazing voice.

Pretender by Steve Aoki, AJR, and Lil Yachty.



Wow, shocker. I like an AJR song. But seriously, this song is cool. Also, AJR and Lil Yachty together in a song is such a weird combination, but it works really well.


Tough by Lewis Capaldi




Another great Lewis Capaldi song, that really should've been more famous than Someone You Loved.

How Long by Charlie Puth







Really cool and funky, which is impressive coming from Charlie Puth.
Crush by Tessa Violet


A really interesting, bizarre song that I recommend checking out. Also, Tessa is clearly aware that she is a stalker in this song, which is refreshing to say the least.


Eastside by Benny Blanco, Halsey, and Khalid.

Incredibly charming and fun. Also it does the beat from Lucid Dreams justice, and it's a song where Halsey doesn't suck. And making Halsey not suck is an impressive feat.



Memes & Yodel Trap - YouTube SchmoWind 2018 #2 by Schmoyoho



Absolute awesomeness.






And now, onto #1

1.

This song is not only the best song of 2018, but also one of the best songs ever made, if not the best. The only way this song could be better is if it had Weird Al Yankovic, Queen, AJR, Surfaces, and Elton John. What song could possibly be that good? 3 words: Fall Out Boy.

Wilson (Expensive Mistakes) by Fall Out Boy



I was never that big into Fall Out Boy. I've only heard a few of their songs, and they were mostly meh. But then I heard this piece of amazingness, and WOW. Wilson (Expensive Mistakes) is incredible. The rhythm is fantastic, the lyrics are stupid, but fun, Patrick Stump's voice is great, and the music video. Oh man, this music video. As if this great song couldn't get any better, the music video is a parody of infomercials, with incredibly clever gags like "Death and Destruction for the Whole Family" "Beautiful Boys, Made of Real Skin, Eat Food" "Karate Patrick. Sold Out" and "This is how babies are made! Psyche, they're killing each other!" Whoever worked on this music video should've worked on the music video for Lil Dicky's Earth, so that real comedy could be injected into it. Bottom line, this song is incredible. Regardless of where you fall on the FOB spectrum, you will love this song. It's amazing, it's incredible, it's an absolute 10000000000000000000000/10 masterpiece.


Welp. That was the best of 2018. What did you think? What songs did I leave out? What's your list? Comment below, and thanks for reading! The worst list will be on its way soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts