Saturday, September 12, 2020

Song review: Working for the Weekend by MAX and bbno$

 

My first exposure to MAX was Lights Down Low. And considering that was a really bad song, and it was a collab with one of the jackoffs who made I Hate You, I Love You, that song was not a good first impression of him. But then I found this song, and now, MAX is alright in my books. Working For The Weekend is similar to Everyday by Logic and Marshmello, in that both songs tackle the futility and drudging tedium that surrounds the life of an office worker. And while Everyday is a decent song that handles its subject matter well (unlike a certain other Logic song), Working For The Weekend does it better. The jazzy and relaxing tune not only sounds really nice, but manages to capture the tedium of working an office job and never getting respect. And this music video is fantastic. Unlike most music videos, this one is an actual story with characters. Basically, MAX is working at an office job with 2 other guys, Joel and Hans. One day, the boss discovers that Hans plays golf, and because of that promotes him. As time goes on, Hans becomes the office favorite, and MAX is continually demoted. So MAX and Joel get their revenge by destroying everything except for Hans' desk, possibly to implicate him. While I personally don't relate to the stuff with Hans, I could understand a lot of other people relating to having a boss' pet, who's a constant kissass. And as a senior, I relate to the constant influx of meaningless work, and the line "I've been working for the weekend, but that weekend never came." As for MAX himself he sounds really good. He has a nice voice that manages to convey his futility and desire for revenge. And now let's get to the thing that made me notice this song, bbno$. Ever since I found Lalala, I've become a big fan of bbno$. He has a great flow, enjoyably nonchalant attitude, and his songs are drenched in surrealism. As for how he does on this song? Unfortunately, he doesn't stick around for long, but for what he does, he's alright. His rapping is good, the lyrics are decent, I like the way he's integrated onto a 20 dollar bill, and bbno$ in a weird yellow jacket, riding a unicorn with his voice in the clouds is something I never knew I wanted to see, but is still really cool. So yeah, Working for the Weekend is a really great song that I recommend checking out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts