Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Song Review: Classic by MTKO vs Classic Man (Remix) by Jidenna and Kendrick Lamar

 



There are 2 reasons I'm talking about these songs in one review. 1: they both have the word "Classic" in their titles. And 2: they're both enjoyable and fun songs. Let's start with Classic. I haven't heard of MTKO before I heard Classic, but if their other songs are like Classic, then they have a lot of talent, because Classic is a great song. The main reason Classic is so good, is because it's so fun. The beat is funky, jammin', and full of enthusiasm, both singers sound great, and the lyrics are enjoyably silly. It's basically the good version of Charlie Puth and Meghan Trainor's Marvin Gaye. It does exactly what that song does, but actually succeeding, instead of falling flat on its stupid face. And it does it while having fun, and being incredibly wholesome. I especially like the bit at the beginning, where the girl says "Hey, where's the drums?" It's funny, and it does a good job setting up the tone for the song. Moving on to Classic Man (Remix). Like MTKO, I've never heard of Jidenna before this song. But if his other songs are this good, than he's one of my new favorite artists, because I absolutely love this song. The second this song comes on, I have the uncontrolable urge to dance. In fact, I'm listening to the song right now as I'm typing this, and resisting the urge to stop typing and dance. That's how good it is. But let's get to the meat of Classic Man (Remix). The production is fantastic, Jidenna sounds great, the "heys" in the background are cool, the lyrics are great (I especially like the lyric "I've got charm like a leprechaun", and how he says "mummafunka" instead of "motherfucker"), but what truly makes this song great is Kendrick Lamar. I don't know if this is controversial, but Kendrick's verse on this song is his best guest verse ever, even including King's Dead. A lot of people say that when Kendrick is on his own, he's really good, but when he's on another person's songs, he's just ok. And I agree. Even on Don't Wanna Know, my favorite Maroon 5 song, he was easily the weakest part. But here, he frickin' kills it. Remember in my top 10 best Lyrical Lemonade songs list when I said that not even Kendrick's flow was as good as Eminem's in Godzilla? Well Kendrick's verse in this song comes close. The way he just spits out lyrics in what feels like mere seconds is absolutely fantastic, and makes an already jammin song even more jammin. So yeah, while Classic is an alright song, Classic Man (Remix) blows it out of the park. But despite that, both songs are really good songs that I highly recommend checking out.

What are your thoughts on these songs, as well as the artists who made them? Which song do you think is better? Comment below!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts