Monday, November 2, 2020

Song Review: King's Dead by Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Future, and James Blake

 

Since I just did 2 Top 10 lists of songs made for movies, I figure it would be appropriate to follow that up with a review of another song made for a movie. And boy did I pick a good one. King's Dead is one of the weirdest songs I've ever heard in my life. And I love it. It has the same bizarre, chaotic surreal charm seen in the discography of bbno$ and Yung Gravy, supported by the artists involved. Kendrick is awesome as usual, James Blake and Jay Rock are good, and even Future, who I usually can't stand, is really good in this song. That is, except for that "Shlob on me knob" thing. But fortunately, it goes by so fast that it doesn't have time to get under my skin. On top of that, the song is just weird as hell. It's somehow about everything and nothing at the same time. The lyrics jump from incoherent and vague topic to incoherent and vague topic, sometimes repeating the same lyrics. Then it just switches randomly to another song where Kendrick is screaming "Red light, green light, Red light, green light, Red light, green light," is singing about fast cars, and is saying fuck you to a bunch of things. King's Dead is a bizzare, weird, catchy, enjoyable song, that manages to make one of my least favorite artists sound good. It's ironic that a song this bizarre, surreal, and out of the norm is connected to a film from the MCU, the most mainstream franchise ever. The King may be dead, but this song is anything but.

What are your thoughts on King's Dead? What are your thoughts on the artists from this song? What's your favorite song from the Black Panther soundtrack?

Also, consider King's Dead to be the honorary #11 for my best Made For Movies Songs list.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if you can have two review requests on the list at once, but
    Review Request: Make Me (Cry) by Noah Cyrus ft. Labrinth (mainly asking for one specific part of the song)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noah Cyrus and Labrinth? Interesting.

      Delete
    2. I just reviewed Make Me (Cry). Tell me your thoughts: https://jeremyusmusiccorner.blogspot.com/2020/11/song-review-make-me-cry-by-noah-cyrus.html

      Delete

Popular Posts