Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Song Review: Chained To The Rhythm by Katy Perry and Skip Marley

 

A lot of people really hate this song. They say stuff like "Oh, it's so hypocritical, oh it's so meaningless, oh why is Katy Perry slamming mindless songs when she herself makes mindless songs" And to that I say....

yes. Yeah, I 100% agree with the criticisms of this song. Katy Perry is being a hypocrite, and the song has a very simplistic view of how music works. But I actually don't think this song is that bad. Why? Well for starters, I would gladly take Smart, interesting, philosophizing Katy Perry over the Katy Perry that brought us this:

and this



and this



and this



and this




Second, I like the way this song sounds. Katy sounds lovely, the beat is nice, jazzy, and atmospheric, and it's generally a nice sounding song to listen to. And for those commenting how it's stupid to make a happy sounding mindless song that condemns mindless songs, I disagree. If anything, it's genius. Don't believe me? A day ago, I saw Hey Ya! played on a car commercial. A happy enough beat can distract from depressing lyrics, and Chained To The Rhythm utilizes that, albeit in a more direct way than Hey Ya!. And then there's Skip Marley. Skip Marley's verses in this song are some of the best guest verses I've ever heard on a song. They're incredibly deep, and beautifully sung. So yeah, despite how stupid, hypocritical, and up its own butt  it is, Chained To The Rhythm is an alright song. I still think Burn The House Down by AJR is a much better version of this song, but CTTR is a good first attempt.


What are your thoughts on Chained To The Rhythm? Comment below, and make sure to follow my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts