Sunday, October 25, 2020

Song Reviews: Starboy, Can't Feel My Face, and I Feel It Coming by The Weeknd

 Anyone who read my worst of 2015 list might remember that I listed The Hills by The Weeknd as #6. While I respect the opinion of those that love it, I still stand by what I said in that list. The Hills is an ugly song that sounds like garbage, and I don't get why so many people love it so much. However, while I do hate The Hills, I don't hate the man who sang it. Abel can make good music when he wants to. And to prove it, I'm going to review my 3 favorite Weeknd songs.


Starboy


While Starboy is nowhere near as good as the other 2 songs on this list, it's still really good. The melody is funky, Weeknd sounds really good, and while the lyrics are meaningless as hell, they're still really cool, and paint an interesting image. Also, the music video is really interesting and cool. Seeing Weeknd smash a bunch of things with a neon cross is really cool. And there's something that I really like about the line "Look what you've done. I'm a motherfucking Starboy." It's such a bizzare, striking line. So yeah, Starboy is a good song. But let's move on to the other 2 songs.

Can't Feel My Face


The main reason I like this song is because it's the exact opposite of The Hills. The Hills has ugly, bassy production, and an awful, annoying voice, while Can't Feel My Face has amazing production, and some of the best vocals of Abel's career. The lyrics alluding to cocaine addiction are also really cool, and the music video with Abel dancing while being set on fire is really cool. People like this one as much as The Hills, and I'm glad, because Can't Feel My Face is absolutely fantastic. But as good as Can't Feel My Face is, it doesn't top the majestic majesty of...

I Feel It Coming

'
I Feel It Coming is one of the best love letters to the 1980s since 24K Magic, Sit Next To Me, and Dude Bro Party Massacre III. It's easily the best song The Weeknd has ever made. The production is fantastic, Abel sounds amazing, the lyrics are cool, the music video is cool, and OH MY GOD THAT INSTRUMENTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I legitimately cannot believe that the same guy who made The Hills also made this masterpiece. Bottom line, this song is straight up amazing, and I dare anyone to find a Weeknd song better than this one.


So yeah, those are my favorite Weeknd songs. While I still hate The Hills, at least you can take solace in the fact that I like these 3 songs. Weeknd, some advice: drop your emo sex god schtick, and just do this. You're so much better at it. Jeremy out.


What are your thoughts on these songs? Do you agree? Disagree? What are your favorite Weeknd songs? Comment below!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts