Friday, October 9, 2020

Song Review: Rude by MAGIC!

 


A lot of people really hate this song. And while I don't, unlike a song like Thunder or I Don't Care, where I straight up don't understand where the hate comes from, with Rude, I 100% understand where the hate comes from. This song is about a guy who goes up to the father of his girlfriend, and asks him to give permission to marry her. The father says no, so the guy acts like a baby, and calls him rude. And then continually stalks the father and keeps asking to marry his daughter, and the dad keeps saying no, until he just marries her himself. Also, he keeps saying he'll marry her anyway, which raises the question of why on earth he even asked the dad in the first place, when he would marry her regardless of the answer. So you're probably wondering why I don't hate this song, if I have such a problem with the premise. Well, there's 2 reasons. 1, the singer. Like I said in my best of 2014 list, Nasri comes off as a brat, but despite that, there's just something likable about the guy. He comes off as a cool buddy. And the second and main reason is how the song sounds. A lot of people take issue with how Rude sounds, but I personally like it. Like Don't Wanna Know, Rude has a nice, catchy, relaxing beat, with a bit of funk added in for good measure. Even the guitar drop sounds pretty cool. So yeah, Rude is basically the 2010s equivalent of the Pina Colada song. It's stupid, has a garbage premise, and is the kind of song most people rag on, but they secretly love. If you hate it, I understand. But Rude, for me at least, is a major guilty pleasure.

What are your thoughts on Rude? Comment below!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts