Friday, October 9, 2020

Top 10 Best songs of 2014

 Welcome back. Now that we got the awful, AWFUL taste of my worst songs of 2014 list out of our mouths, lets move on to my best songs of 2014 list. Like I said before, the good songs of 2014 were scarce. Oh they were good, but they didn't compare to the good songs of my previous years I've talked about. But lets talk about my top 10 best songs of 2014 anyways.


10.

And the award for best song with the most off putting music video goes to...

Turn Down For What by DJ Snake And Lil Jon



Turn Down For What is a song I really like, but don't have much to say about. It's just a good song to jam to. The beat is really good, there's a lot of energy, and the music video is weird, but alright. It's just a good song.

Seriously, though. What the hell is up with that music video?
9.

Commercially songs aren't always a bad thing. Sure, some of them are bland, lifeless husks, but other times you get songs like Thunder, Trampoline, Renegades, Feel It Still, Go, and this song:

Best Day Of My Life by American Authors  


               

Like Hey Soul Sister, I used to hear this song a lot when I was younger. But unlike Hey Soul Sister, which I thought was passable, but not great, I actually liked this one. And my thoughts as an adult? Yeah, Best Day of My Life rules. It's an incredibly nice, sweet lovely song, with a funny music video, great singing, and just an all around pleasant song. While this song does have an Imagine Dragons ripoff vibe, it manages to be incredibly unique and fun. It may not be amazing, but it's certainly a nice song, great for when you want to listen to something happy.

8. 


Considering how much I love 24K Magic and That's What I Like, it goes without saying that I like this song too.

Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars






While Uptown Funk is basically diet 24K Magic, it's still a really good song. Bruno Mars is his charismatic self, the song is upbeat and funky as hell, and everyone is charismatic and cool as hell. That's really it. That's the problem with 2014 songs. Unlike other years, where I have so much to say about good songs, with this year, most of my critiques fall under "It's good. Next."

7.

This song just rules.

Problem by Ariana Grande and Iggy Azelea


Let's start with the production. The production of Problem is anything but. This is some of the slickest, most charismatic and catchy production I've ever heard, supported by one of the sickest sax riffs I've ever heard in my life. As for the singing, that's great too. Ariana sounds a little nasally and weird, but she's good, Big Sean sounds good, and even Iggy Azelea, who usually sucks, sounds really good. That, combined with a weird and cool music video makes a great song that came out of a pretty bad year.

6.

This song is basically the good version of La la la.

Rather Be by Clean Bandit and Jess Glynne


Rather Be is just a lovely, comforting song. Every second of this song is so relaxing, happy, and nice. The singing is nice, the wii-like beat is really cool and relaxing, and the chorus is just so upbeat and fun. Unlike La la la, which tries to be nice and happy, but falls flat on its face, Rather Be manages to capture a fun, atmospheric, happy, relaxing vibe, and like so many other songs, it gets better and better as it goes on. Also, it gave us this:




You're welcome.

5.

I'm not the biggest 5SOS fan. They're not terrible, but a lot of what I've heard from them isn't that good, from the toxic, emo, melodramatic and gaslighting Amnesia, to the incredibly meh Youngblood, to their obnoxious crossover with The Chainsuckers. But there's one 5SOS song that's so dumb, stupid, and fun that I can't help but love it.

She Looks So Perfect by 5 Seconds Of Summer


She Looks So Perfect is an infectious roller coaster ride of fun. The singing is great, the instrumentals are amazing, and the song just screams excitement. Every part of this song is an absolute brain melting blast. Sure, the American Apparel line is stupid, but the song itself is just so amazing. Honestly, I don't even know what else to say, because She Looks So Perfect isn't a song that's supposed to be analyzed. It's a song that you turn off your brain and rock on to. So, yeah, if you want brainless fluff, turn this song on. 

4.

Weird Al.

Word Crimes by Weird Al Yankovic


While the original Blurred Lines is meh, this parody is really good. I mean, that's par for the course, this is Weird Al Yankovic we're talking about. But what makes this parody works is the specifics. It takes the only good thing about Blurred Lines, the beat, and combines it with clever lyrics and wordplay, as well as a really cool music video. On top of that, it's actually a good tool for learning grammer. So if you or someone in your family is learning grammer, show them this video. They'll laugh, learn, and groove. I'm glad Weird Al stuck around, because we need someone like him, especially now.

3.

Oh, Meghan Trainor. I can't stay mad at you.

Lips Are Movin' by Meghan Trainor



Like Me Too, a lot of people hate this song, and I get that hate, but I 100% disagree. While it's nowhere near as good as Me Too or Better When I'm Dancin', Lips Are Movin is a really fun, catchy, energetic song. Trainor sounds great, the tempo is good, the music video is enjoyably silly  and it's just a great song to jam too. Similar to She Looks So Perfect, Lips Are Movin' isn't the kind of song you analyze. It's the kind of song you groove to. So that's what I'm gonna do. N to the ext.

2. 


I love this song.

Hangover by PSY and Snoop Dogg


Hangover is like if LMFAO made a K-POP song. It's idiotic, silly, obnoxious, and fun. And I love every minute of it. PSY, despite sounding like an obnoxious robot, still brings in a fun, enjoyable performance, Snoop isn't great, but he's ok, and has fantastic chemistry with PSY, the instrumentals are fantastic, with a catchy melody and that sick as hell sax riff, and it's just an all around good time. I can definitely understand someone hating Hangover, because it is an incredibly obnoxious piece of fluff. But unlike Hello Kitty, this is obnoxiousness that works for me. If you like brainless nonsense, check out Hangover. You won't regret it. 

And now, the honorable mentions:

Rude by MAGIC!


The premise is insanely stupid (If you were going to marry her regardless, why even ask her father in the first place?), and the narrator comes off as a whiny brat, but it's catchy enough for me to not hate, and it gave us this:


I miss Zombie George Washington. 


Rather Be cover by Pentatonix




One of the best covers of all time. I swear, if Pentatonix and AJR did a collab, it would probably bring about the rapture.

Talk Dirty by Jason Derulo and 2 Chainz




While this song has similar problems to Wiggle, Talk Dirty makes up for it with a great production, and good voices from Derulo and 2 Chainz. Although that Asian lady that appears at the beginning and end of the video is obnoxious and insanely racist.

Show Me by Kid Ink and Chris Brown






Like Marvin Gaye, this song is a guilty pleasure. It's incredibly catchy, and has terrible lyrics. I mean "You remind me of something, but I don't know what it is"? What does that even mean?

Happy by Pharell



It goes without saying that I like this song.

It's My Birthday by will.i.am and Cody Wise




A catchy, fun, charismatic and funky song. Also, unlike Hello Kitty, It's My Birthday uses the word "kawaii" in a way that isn't incredibly cringey.

Trumpets by Jason Derulo







The lyrics are stupid, and the trumpets are pretty cheap sounding, but the melody has a nice, nostalgic vibe, and Derulo's voice is decent.

Love Never Felt So Good by Justin Timberlake and Michael Jackson




Sure, it might be distasteful when viewed through a certain lense, but it's funky, cool, relaxing, and nice. And honestly, I see it as more of a tribute song than a grave robbing cash in.

Sail by AWOLNATION





Take notes, The Hills. This is how to be a dark song that becomes a hit and actually sound good, and not at all like muddy ear rape.


Handy by Weird Al Yankovic






I only wanted one Weird Al parody, so this one was cut. But it's still really good. And surprisingly has less stupid lyrics than the original.

Nicey Nicey by Pogo



A fantastic remix of one of the best British shows ever made.

Carl Poppa by Bad Lip Reading



I haven't seen The Walking Dead, but Carl Poppa is really funny, and really catchy. Also, the singing zombie breakdown is absolutely hilarious.

Believe Me by Lil Wayne and Drake



This song is better than it has any right to be.


 I'm an Albatraoz by AronChupa



This is one of the stupidest, weirdest, catchiest songs I ever heard. And I love it.


Break Free by Ariana Grande and Zedd




Nowhere near as good as Problem, but catchy and cool. Also, this song is a major earworm. Like seriously, one listen and this song will be stuck in your head for the rest of the day.

Classic by MKTO




Awesome.

Night Changes by One Direction




This song has grown on me in a massive way. Great singing, great lyrics, and fantastic production. Take note Adele, Lauren Daigle, Lady Gaga, and Bradley Cooper. THIS is how to tug on my heartstrings.

Fireball by Pitbull and John Ryan



A fantastic party jam from Mr. Worldwide himself. Too bad he never collabed with Macklemore. That would be a match made in heaven.

Beachin by Jake Owen


Pure country idiocy from the guy who brought us Down To The Honkytonk

Latch by Disclosure and Sam Smith



Catchy, funky, and unlike La la la, a good use of Sam Smith's vocals.


Come With Me Now by KONGOS



An enjoyable, dark, interesting piece of music. Also, cool to see a song with a fricking accordion.


Dark Horse parody by Key of Awesome



A terrible song turned into a really funny parody.

Don't by Ed Sheeran





A good song that massively makes up for the autopiloted garbage that was Thinking Out Loud. Also, cool to see a diss track from Ed Sheeran.


 
Bang Bang by Jessie J, Nicki Minaj, and Ariana Grande.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Bombastic and catchy

And now, onto #1

1.

In a year as bad as 2014, it's amazing a piece of music as amazing as this was made. And by the guy who produced Look What You Made Me Do.

I Wanna Get Better by Bleachers


If someone were to ask me what heaven sounded like, I would point them to this song. Because it is absolutely amazing. Let's start with the production, which OH MY GOD IS THIS SOME OF THE BEST PRODUCTION I'VE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The instrumental is amazing, Jack Antonoff's voice is fantastic, and it's such an enveloping, comforting song reminiscent of top tier AJR. Also, like Trumpets, I Wanna Get Better has a very nostalgic vibe, which makes it sound like a song that plays at the beginning or ending of an 80s college movie. As for the lyrics? Wow. These are really good lyrics. Clever, intricate, interesting and cool. Bottom line, this song is phenomenal. One of the best songs I've ever heard. If you haven't heard it yet, play that video and be blown away by not only the best song of 2014, but also one of the best songs ever made. 



Well, that was the best of 2014. What are your thoughts? What's your list? Comment below, and thanks for reading. Make sure to follow my blog to be notified by new posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts