Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Song Review: Thrift Shop by Macklemore, Ryan Lewis, and WANZ

 

Here's something you probably don't know about me: I love resale shops. They have reasonable prices, and a huge amount of old VHS tapes, DVDs, and books. And while Macklemore's Thrift Shop talks more about clothes than any of that stuff, the thrift shop lover in me still connects with it. It's a song that shows why resale shops are so cool. How you're able to get so much cool stuff that costs so little. And it demonstrates this through the incredibly clever and cool lyrics. I'm usually not a lyrics guy, I'm more about production. But Thrift Shop is one of those songs I love more for the lyrics than the production. Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the way this song sounds, and we'll get to it in a moment. But the lyrics are truly what bring this song together. The way that Macklemore promotes thrift shops, puts down expensive clothes by using the simple logic that you're paying $50 for what is essentially a symbol, and some silly, stupid jokes really helps make the song distinct and memorable. As for the production? That's good too. I've noticed that a lot of songs I like have sax riffs. Hangover, Problem, Talk Dirty. The only song I dislike that has a sax riff is Worth It, and even then, it's a ripoff of Talk Dirty's sax riff. And as for Thrift Shop's, it's really good. Unlike the sax riffs of Problem, Talk Dirty, and Hangover, which are full of energy and fun, the one in Thrift Shop is more relaxed, giving the song a unique and cool vibe. On top of that, Macklemore himself is very likable in this song. He has a fun, almost childish confidence about him that makes him appear very likable. His flow is good, and he has a great voice. Bottom line, Thrift Shop is a great song. It sounds great, it has great lyrics, and it's dedicated to one of my favorite locations. While I can't go to thrift shops personally because of the pandemic, at least I can expirence the resale store magic through Macklemore's Thrift Shop.


What are your thoughts on Thrift Shop? Comment below, and makes sure to follow my blog in order to be notified by new posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts